edina tien: why...

July 13, 2006

why...

do I always feel icky after leaving a car dealership? Even when all goes pretty much as planned and the salesperson seems reasonable, I always wonder if we've been taken for a ride. Maybe I'm just falling prey to the negative stereotypes of car salesmen, but after spending hours filling out routine paperwork, it makes you wonder if you've signed your life away. Anyway, we were surprised to already have our new car since we were on a waiting list and didn't expect to get one for at least a few weeks. So this whole week we've been scrambling to get everything together to trade in our old car and prepare to buy the new one. This left me little time to get other things done. Namely, a shrine for a swap that I wanted to participate in this morning. I made a heroic effort, stayed up until the wee hours last night, and then of course, couldn't even get out of bed to get to the swap! It was also the annual picnic for the Portland Artists Collective (PAC). Very lame of me, I know, and sorry to any fellow PAC members who are reading this. I'm really sorry that I missed seeing what everyone else made, too!

I'm posting photos of my shrine as it stands right now. I think it might need a little extra work...perhaps some fibers/charms/beads hanging from the top of the driftwood legs (picked up off the beach in Fort Worden while I was at ArtFest - yay for repurposing stuff!) This was my first assemblage and I learned a lot, especially about structural engineering and how to make friends with E6000! It was a challenge to find all the elements to put in the shrine. I had to get creative with the shelf that those bottles (which are vials that my contact lenses arrive in) are sitting on and glued two toy blocks and a piece of foam core together! With more time, I could have bought and cut a piece of wood or constructed an actual shelf and nailed it into the shrine, but I think my makeshift one actually turned out well. That's one thing that I've noticed (and I know many people experience this)...when I am pressed for time and start winging it, my art often turns out better - isn't it lovely and amazing how that works? This shrine is really different than what I had originally envisioned. I had intended to use one of those vintage images of people in old-fashioned swimsuits. Holding onto that vision left me creatively blocked. Once I let that idea go, my brain clicked, I thought of using a transparency, and everything came together. I ended up with a completely different style but one that I'm ultimately more satisfied with.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shari Beaubien said...

Congratulations on the new car! I know that's important to you.

I like your updates, too. Any chance you'd be willing to link to me under "websites"?

Shari

July 14, 2006 8:36 AM  
Blogger Dawn D. Sokol said...

This assemblage is amazing! Thanks so much for showing!!

As for the car experience, I know what you mean. My brother works in a parts dept. at a car dealership and my father worked with Chrysler for 30-some years before he passed away. Even with THAT, I've still hated going to dealerships. The only time buying a car was a good experience for me was when my dad set the whole thing up, got all the paperwork together, the car, got the financing squared away, etc., and then all I had to do was go in and sign the papers and drive off with the car. It was awesome! I love him for that!! :)

July 14, 2006 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home