edina tien: how to foil a glass pebble (scroll down for photos)

September 25, 2006

how to foil a glass pebble (scroll down for photos)

People have asked about copper-foiling a glass pebble charm...I'm no expert but this is how I do it:

First, attach your pebble to your image and let the adhesive dry thoroughly (I wait overnight). I use a Diamond Glaze type adhesive but I've heard E6000 or gel medium works, too.

Next, foil the back with a few strips, overlapping a little, and cut off excess.

Then, start foiling the side - I don't like dealing with the curves so I start down at a point where the foil lies flat. Maybe this is not the most secure way, but so far, it works for me.

I'm also not very neat about crimping it down as you can see in the photo, but I make sure I use a bone folder (or handy wooden stick from a Haagen-Daas bar) to press down so the foil is stuck on very well. This is a really important step - don't skip it!

Voila! Now solder away...

1 Comments:

Blogger Shari Beaubien said...

I like your play-by-play photos! It's like they're right out of a book! Thanks for sharing... I understand it much better now.
Hugs, Shari

September 27, 2006 6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home