edina tien: family portrait

October 14, 2006

family portrait

This is what I made in Carla Sonheim's class. It was a 4-hour evening workshop that went by way too fast. Carla is a kind, talented artist who shared step-by-step techniques for creating her fun, whimsical paintings. As I've said before, I'm the type of person who needs lots of time to deliberate when I'm making art, so the short class format was out of my comfort zone. But I think it was really good for me to be pushed out of that zone - I especially liked the quick drawing exercises we did at the beginning of class. Working fast forced me to try and ignore the voice of my inner critic (which usually speaks very loudly). Even though I'm not 100% happy with this painting, it was the first time I actually came away from a class with a finished piece! And I learned so much from Carla that will help further my development as an artist.

8 Comments:

Blogger deb said...

I think it looks terrific, Edina!

October 14, 2006 7:05 PM  
Blogger Lori S-C said...

I agree that it looks terrific! Love the colors and the feel....

October 15, 2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I am crazy in love with this painting!!! I think you did a super marvelous job!!!

October 16, 2006 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay... as promised, I'm all up to date! Love the family portrait, especially. I hope you hang that up somewhere! Hugs, Shari

October 16, 2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Debbie Overton said...

Edina, your Family is adorable!!! Love the colors you used. Can't wait to see more. Debbie O

October 17, 2006 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my, i love this! having to work fast pushes me also.

October 20, 2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger Leni said...

very nice!

October 27, 2006 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty!

October 27, 2006 7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home