edina tien: viva las vegas!

December 29, 2006

viva las vegas!

Wow, I didn't think Vegas would be a popular place to go for Christmas but it was packed!! I've heard the Strip described as a Disneyland for adults - I can definitely attest to standing in many Disneyland-style lines!

We had a good time doing a little of everything...visiting the newer hotels, eating, shopping, and a little gambling (since we ended up in the black, I can say that it was fun - it would be a different story if we hadn't!) We also watched some terrific shows. First, we saw LOVE which is a Cirque du Soleil show based on the Beatles' music. Though not a traditional Cirque show of acrobatics and feats of strength, it was still an amazing production with outstanding costumes and creative energy. Every vignette did a great job of bringing to life the Beatles' songs and the different historical eras in which they existed. Highly recommended, and a must-see if you're a Beatles fan. Next was Mamma Mia, a musical based on ABBA songs. Although the plot was simple, it was fun and I was impressed with how they were able to work in so many songs and make them flow naturally as part of the story. Again, highly recommended if you're an ABBA fan. Last, we saw Jerry Seinfeld who was fabulously funny as usual. I only wish the show could have been longer, though I'm sure it's exhausting enough for him to talk nonstop for an hour. The comedian who opened, Tom Papa, was also very good.

We did some window shopping in the various malls and shopping arcades. If you're into luxury name brands, Vegas is a great place to visit because so many of the stores are conveniently located together. One of my favorites was Hermès (to look at, not to buy!) - the quality of their merchandise is phenomenal. Here are some of their holiday window displays.



We also enjoyed lots of great food. Here's the foot-high sandwich my brother is about to dig into from Carnegie Deli (and no, he did not finish it) :


Other random photos:

inside Bellagio hotel

views from and of Bellagio

Paris hotel across from Bellagio

the Mirage's "volcanic eruption" display

canal inside the Venetian

my brother reading up on how to beat the house

Thanks for putting up with my vacation photos and stories - I'll stop here to keep from boring you any longer! Read on for the rest of the 12 days gifts...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Lyn said...

Hi Edina! Love the Vegas photos...that sandwich looks yummy! Hermés too--LOL! I emailed you back right before your accident--how's the charm making going for Romona's swap? I am making some headway!! Yay!

December 29, 2006 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Edina; Loved reading about your Vegas adventures and the photos, too. I would have enjoyed any of those shows. Good picks!

Hope you are feeling better.

Suzanne

January 06, 2007 12:20 PM  
Blogger Maija said...

Thank you for posting your beautiful vacation photos! I love seeing the "other side" of my blog friends lives!

January 07, 2007 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home