edina tien: yellow green collage

March 18, 2007

yellow green collage

Just finished this collage for another swap, again hosted by The Creative Underground, called Crayola Color Cache. The collage will be reduced and made into small color copies and be wrapped around our assigned crayon, so we'll get back a box of Crayolas with mini collages attached to each corresponding color. They come up with such creative swap ideas!

ADDENDUM 3/22/07 - We had to provide a short blurb about the inspiration/design process for our collages which I just wrote today, so I thought I'd add that here...

After I signed up for this swap, I dug through my box of Crayolas so I could see what Yellow Green really looked like - not only the crayon itself, but also when colored on paper. It reminded me of one of my favorite colors of Golden brand acrylic paint, Green Gold, so I used that as the starting point for my collage. Then I started layering, going back and forth between mark-making tools (paint, watercolor crayons, colored pencils, paint pens, vine charcoal) and other elements (ephemera, rubber stamped images, gel medium transfers of text from old books). The phrase was composed from words out of an old book that I thought fit with the image of the man and woman. I liked the contrast of the pink in the fabric draped over the woman’s chair, so I added the postage stamp and paper flowers to encourage movement of the viewer’s eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home